I am a microcomputer hardware and software engineer.
- My interest and involvement in personal UAVs has led me to create this informational website.
- I worked for Lawrence Livermore Laboratory on Fusion Lasers and for Pico Second Enterprises on Pulse Power.
- For many years I operated as an independent consultant on various microcomputer design projects.
- Since retiring I rekindled a previous interest in RC planes which evolved into an interest in personal UAVs.
- I am closely involved with the DIYDrones community of UAV enthusiasts and developers.
- Until recently I was their lead Wiki editor tasked with transporting and upgrading the previous wiki and adding to it.
- As that Wiki is limited to the implementation and use of APM and Pixhawk Autopilots I decided to make a more general website.
- Drones Are Fun is an informational website which provides a wide array of information for anyone interested in UAVs.
- Information varies from overview to specific build and implementation methods.
- Lots of illustrations, videos and links to other sites and vendors are included.
- Navigation is extremely easy: All pages are linked from the Table of Contents, The Drop Down Menu and the Main page.
- There is also a page index at the top of each page that links to the headings within the page.
- I am still active in the DIYDrones community and am designing and working on an advanced quadcopter UAV.
- Additionally I designed and am constructing a 2 wheel hanging pendulum robot with brushless electric bicycle wheels.
- I am also interested in and working on 3D machine vision, position location and pathfinding (SLAM).
- I live with my Wife Barbara, Our Australian Shepard Shadow, 4 house cats and several outdoor cats we care for.
- I designed and built our house without assistance on a 1 acre wooded property in the small costal town of Fort Bragg, California.
- It is super insulated and uses less than $50.00 worth of propane a year to heat it.
- I also put in a roof water catchment and filtration system we use for all our water and a small photovoltaic system.
Myself and Shadow and My Wife Barbara and Shadow
The House I built in Fort Bragg, CA In Mission Planner
A TurboCAD drawing of my rainwater recovery system.